First things first, I should google how to use characters with accents on them. Then the title would be a bit more correct. Here’s to my first post going into my YAGM year in Mexico. Here are some facts:
- YAGM stands for Young Adults in Global Mission, a volunteer program for people ages 21-29 by the ELCA.
- I leave for orientation August 19th, and for Mexico on August 26th.
- I have no idea where I’ll be yet. I’m okay with this since I’m so busy this summer at Rainbow Trail Lutheran Camp.
- It’s likely I’ll be serving in Mexico City, one of the top 10 biggest cities in the world.
- Worried about safety? A wise past YAGMer once said there are 28 million other people LIVING there. That means they’re alive.
- Not worried about safety and want to visit? Visitors should plan to come after Christmas so I can get past homesickness and really be a part of my new community.
- Yes, I’ve taken Spanish. No, I’m not fluent (yet 🙂 )
- Mexico still feels very surreal and far away. But I couldn’t be happier to take the opportunity now and see how a year of service will impact me and my communities.
- Read more about it on the ELCA page or the YAGM Mexico Facebook page.
Here’s to a year of becoming a more educated and intentional neighbor and global citizen. I still have yet to raise about $3,000 of $4,000. If you would like to partner with me in this ministry by donation or by receiving periodic newsletters, email me at email@example.com. Thoughts, prayers, and conversations in Spanish would be much appreciated. Love to you all.